Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Thankful Heart


"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."
-1 Thessalonians 5:18

It's so easy in our day to day lives to complain--complain about things we don't have, complain about our circumstances, complain about things we can't change. We tire ourselves out rambling on and on, and what good does it do us? None.

This Thanksgiving holds a lot of mixed feelings for me:

Sorrow. There is a lot I have lost in the past year--specifically the biggest being relationships with loved ones. It's been a painful journey, but it has not only made me stronger, but taught me how to put my trust and faith in God. I am currently in the midst of reading the book "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge (if you have not read this book, I HIGHLY recommend it; both men and women). In reading this book, things have started to make more sense to me--for example, how I like to take things into my own hands and be in control. Not in a domineering way, but in a "I'm strong enough to handle this on my own, I'll show you" kind of way. Throughout dealing with the losses in the last year, I have had to learn to get down on my knees and surrender all to Christ--that's all I can do. That's all I'm called to do. 

Relief. Although I have lost relationships in the past year, I have also gained relationships that were lost, and now being restored. To be able to let go of that pain, hatred, bitterness, and holes in my heart has just been one of the most freeing and relieving feelings I've ever experienced. I could not have orchestrated things better myself. This was just even more proof to me that God does always have a plan and He makes beauty from ashes.

Thankfulness. Last but certainly not least. Despite everything that has gone on this past year--good and bad alike--my heart is just genuinely thankful this year. How could it not be? I look at my life and I can see countless blessings and things to be grateful for. God has been ever faithful to me. He has provided, cared for me, pursued me, loved me, and taken care of me. He has made up for where I lack, He has given me grace, He has grown my spirit, He has given me wisdom, He has shaped me to be who I am destined to be.

Although my heart is missing those loved ones that I have lost relationships with this year, I am overflowing with the joy that comes from my thankful heart.

My encouragement to you is to do your best to have a thankful heart, rather than focusing on what you don't have or are lacking. More than likely, there's even more to be thankful for than you realize.

Here's to living the destined life..

No comments:

Post a Comment